Contact Kid Friendly Sides vegetarian

Five Spice Roasted Delicata Squash

karista's kitchen

Five Spice Roasted Delicata Squash

Every season I find myself completely over the moon excited about one or two of the seasons best produce.  Ok, if I’m being honest it’s typically more like five or six.

Delicata Squash

My kitchen table is over-run with Delicata squash. I can’t help myself.  Everytime I’m at the market I think I need just one more Delicata… you know, just in case.  Delicata have a slightly sweet, buttery taste that resembles a sweet potato… just a bit.  Yum!

I love taking pictures of my squash!

So now I’ve got to find multiple uses for my beautiful fall squash.  Besides taking lots of pictures.

Slice the Delicata in half lengthwise

Scoop out the seeds with a spoon or ice cream scoop

Slice in little half moons

I love Delicata in stews or soups, roasted with big pieces of juicy chicken, stir fried with an assortment of other fall veggies and most of all I just love them simply roasted with a little Five Spice Powder and brown sugar.

Toss with Five Spice Powder, Brown Sugar, Grapeseed oil, salt and pepper

Delicata are easy to prepare and make the most delicious side dish.  Or, if you’re like me, I just eat them off the roasting pan while I’m making dinner. :)

Five Spice Roasted Delicata Squash

Five Spice Powder

Serves 6

1 ½ – 2 lbs Delicata Squash

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 ½  teaspoons Five Spice Powder

2 tablespoons veggie oil or grapeseed oil

Salt and Pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 400F.

Mix together the brown sugar, five spice powder and oil until the brown sugar is mostly dissolved.

Wash the squash and then slice about ½ inch of each end.  Slice down the center vertically and clean out the seeds in the squash with a spoon or small ice cream scoop.

Then slice the squash to make little half moons.

Put the slices in a bowl and toss with the Five Spice Powder, brown sugar and oil.

Layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Sprinkle with a little salt and black pepper.

Roast on 400F for about 20-30 minutes or until nice and fork tender.

This little dish can be served piping hot or at room temp.  Leftovers store easily in the frig for about 3 days.  Great for midnight snacking!

Jodi Boatright
    October 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

Sounds yummy! Where should I look for Five Spice Powder? Is it, and this kind of squash, available at most grocery stores?

October 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Jodi, I can find Five Spice Powder in the spice aisle at most grocery stores. The delicata is becoming more popular and can be found at most grocery stores, but in our area I can always find it at PCC Natural Markets or Whole Foods. Enjoy!

October 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I’m so glad I found your blog. My CSA put at delicata squash in my box this week, and I’ve been puzzled as to how to cook it or what it even tastes like. Thank you for sharing about these. I’m really excited to cook it now. And I see you’re in Seattle. Me too! :-)

October 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Thanks Eryka! Love your blog… and I am in love with all things Paleo too! For health reasons actually, I try to stick to a mostly (try is the operative word!) paleo diet. But I love my food so sometimes its hard. Thanks for stopping by!

October 27, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hi Karista – I am adding to the choir of hoorahs for this post/recipe. I think it sounds AMAzing and I can’t wait to try it. I have had a jar of 5 Spice in my cupboard for about 10 years because I bought if for a recipe and never knew what to do with it afterward. You prompted me to finally throw it out and I’m going to be buying a fresh jar (maybe even order it from my fav Spice Market on Western below the Pike Place Market – have you ever been there? Awesome!! But you will come out smelling like you rolled around in all their spices – hair, skin, clothes – lol!) and pick up the delicata this weekend. Can’t wait to try it! I bet the brown sugar/5 spice combo also tastes good with pan seared brussel sprouts. Yum!! Thanks again for sharing this…you are my favorite Paleo/GF/Teaching Chef!

October 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Alicia! Thank you so much for your kind words! And I love that little spice market… isn’t it Tony Hill’s? Can’t remember, but it’s divine I agree. Enjoy the five spice delicata. And for a quick dinner, I like to dust very thin chicken cutlets in five spice and pan sear. Top with sliced cooked apples and a pat of butter… and a splash of brandy if you’ve got it in the cabinet. :)

October 27, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I have enjoyed catching up with your posts now that I’m back from Europe. This squash is so simple…I love five spice. I’m going to try the shrimp cakes as well.

October 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Karen! I’ve been missing your posts and thought you might be traveling. Can’t wait to read all about it! Enjoy the squash and shrimp cakes :) (and welcome back!)

Kelley {mountain mama cooks}
    October 28, 2011 at 10:54 am

I, too, love delicata squash. I just picked up my first (and last) at the farmers market on Wednesday. I like to toss them in a salad after roasting although the idea of a midnight snack is sounding really tempting! :)

October 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Mmmm… love them in salads too! They’re one of those veggies that taste great cold or warm. Sweet potatoes is another midnight snack fave. Don’t get me started!

Kale and Sausage Stuffed Delicata Squash Recipe | Mountain Mama Cooks
    November 7, 2011 at 8:59 am

[…] Garden of Eating Delicata Squash Salad with Arugula, Cranberries and Feta, by Mountain Mama Cooks Five Spice Roasted Delicata Squash, by Karista’s […]

Chinese Five Spice Vegetable and Noodle Stir Fry « the taste space – steam, bake, boil, shake!
    May 1, 2012 at 2:43 am

[…] Five Spice Roasted Delicata Squash from Appetite for Reduction Fluffy Sesame Baked Tofu from Sprint 2 the Table Broccoli Slaw Salad with Five-Spice Tofu from Vegetarian Times Chinese Five-Spice Noodles with Broccoli from Serious Eats Smoky Pomegranate Tofu with Coconut Rice from Vegan with a Vengeance Acorn Squash, Pear and Adzuki Soup with Sautéed Shiitakes from Post Punk Kitchen Chinese Five Spice Miso Soup with Shitakes and Edamame from Florida Coastal Cooking Star Anise-Glazed Tempeh with Stir-Fried Peppers from Joanne Eats Well With Others […]

September 12, 2012 at 11:30 am

Delicata Squash are easily my favorite squash! I usually just bake them plain because they are so damn good but the 5 spice sounds really interesting with them!

September 12, 2012 at 11:34 am

I so agree with you, the Delicata are fabulous all on their own. I had this new bottle of organic Five Spice and was dying to use it on something other than chicken. So Delicata squash it was and we’ve been eating that way ever since. Hahaha!

October 9, 2013 at 5:28 pm

My father-in-law has been growing these for years and we always enjoy them in the fall. I think our favorite method is just to peel, slice, and fry in butter. This sounds like a nice twist, so I may have to give it a go when we start getting our squash!

October 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Oh, fry in butter. That sounds grand! I can eat my weight in these little lovelies. Thanks for commenting!

Delicata Squash Oven Roasted with Five Spice
    January 7, 2015 at 7:06 pm

[…] Page 2. Get the recipe and tips for making Five Spice Roasted Delicata Squash | Karista’s Kitchen […]