Contact Kid Friendly Pasta Pork

Weeknight Ragu over Jovial Brown Rice Pasta

Weeknight Ragu over Jovial Brown Rice Pasta

Yep, I did it again. Second time in a week I forgot to plan dinner.  I plan at least 3-4 meals at one time.  Always.  But it’s my busy season and I got sidetracked.

It happens. Right? Thankfully my crew is easy to please (Mmmm… fairly easy).

A few tasty ingredients for a simply delicious dish!

So, I took stock of my frig and pantry and put together this lovely little dish.  So lovely I went back to the kitchen to take a picture and the entire dish of Weeknight Ragu was gone.

Not to worry.  I did mention it was the second time in a week I forgot to plan dinner.  I know, this is tragic and I can’t believe it either.

Wildly Delicious Dish!

I prepared Weeknight Ragu again. This time I snapped pictures before my crew hit the table.  I sound like I have a hungry crew of 10 boys.

Just my two sassy gals, Ranger Craig and my trusty sidekick, Tank.  I think they like my cooking. :)

Weeknight Ragu

Serves 4

1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, or safflower, sunflower or coconut oil

1 red onion, diced

1 lb spicy or mild pork sausage (I also love this with chicken sausage)

1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce (I love Muir Glen)

1 15 oz can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Salt and Pepper to taste

Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

1/2 cup water (if needed)

Drizzle of olive oil

Handful of fresh basil, chopped or chiffinade (tasty garnish)

Cooked pasta of your choice. I love Jovial brand pastas, Einkorn and Brown Rice

In a large saute pan heat the oil over medium heat and saute the onions until nicely wilted and translucent.  About 5 minutes.

Next, add the sausage and cook through, crumbling the sausage as it’s cooking.

Once the sausage is cooked through, stir in both tomato sauces, red wine vinegar and a pinch of red pepper flakes, being careful of splatter.  Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes.  Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup water if you’d like a thinner ragu.

Season to taste with salt and pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

Serve over your favorite pasta and garnish with fresh basil.  Enjoy!

*This sauce also does well on a low simmer for about 30 minutes, for more intense flavor.

Cookery For Two
    December 9, 2011 at 9:12 am

Hey where can I purchase this “Jovial” brand brown rice pasta? You think Trader Joes might have something like that? I know for sure the organic section of my local market doesnt carry it. Definately something new for me to try – what’s the texture like on the pasta?

Thanks for sharing!

~ Cookery for Two

December 9, 2011 at 9:22 am

Hi! I can purchase Jovial at Whole Foods Markets, most natural markets, and once when I couldn’t find it at a market I ordered six boxes from their website I’m not sure if Trader Joe’s carries it, I haven’t shopped there in a while. If you can’t find it, I have an extra box in my pantry (I load up when I find it), I’ll send you a box to try and if you like it you can order off the website. My little gal is gluten intolerant and it’s her favorite pasta… only she likes butter and cheese with it. :) Email me your address and I’ll pop it in the mail to you.

Sara Janus
    December 9, 2011 at 11:48 am

Love this recipe!! I’m going to make it for my family next week. :)

December 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm

It’s a hit at my house Sara. Hope you’re family loves it too! Have a wonderful weekend.

Sara Janus
        December 13, 2011 at 11:12 am

I made this last night for my family and it was a hit! Even my picky almost 3 year old ate some. :) Thanks! I’ll be putting this into my regular menu rotation! :)

December 10, 2011 at 7:59 am

It’s all about ragu on the weeknights. Sometimes bf and I eat it twice a week, in some form or another. This looks good. I’m going to try switching it up with the rice noodles.

December 10, 2011 at 8:55 am

We love it here too! And brown rice pasta is a staple. Although I think my youngest gal prefers her pasta with lots of parmesan and butter! Have a lovely weekend. :)

December 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

Pasta is a real life saver (or should I say dinner saver) this time of the year. What a great photo…love the story of how it was gone when you went to get your photo the first time.

December 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Karen. Pasta dishes tend to fly right off the table in my house!

January 5, 2012 at 7:17 am

Looks delicious! So cool to see recipes that use brown rice pasta

January 5, 2012 at 8:55 am

We love brown rice pasta in our house. The brand “Jovial” is our favorite. My youngest gal is allergic to wheat so brown rice pasta is a staple. Thanks for stopping by!

Lisa Michele
    January 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Wow..this dish is delicious! I made this for my family tonight and they loved it husband was impressed..:) The red wine vinegar really adds ‘something’ special to this dish.
    I used mild Italian pork from PCC..yummy!

I am so excited to share this recipe and future dishes with my friends..

Thanks Karista

January 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Awww… thank you so much Lisa! I love to hear about happy tummy’s and tastebuds! I love the mild Italian pork from PCC, a perfect choice for this dish. Thank you so much for sharing!! Delicious Wishes, Karista