Appetizers Karista's Kitchen Seafood

Pancetta and Radicchio Wrapped Grilled Scallops

Grilled Scallops

Grilled Scallops Wrapped in Radicchio and Pancetta

I become completely giddy when I find these large, glossy dry packed scallops at the fish market. Seriously, I embarrass my children (or myself) as I loudly proclaim how excited I am to have found these gorgeous shell fish.   It’s like my birthday or Christmas when I find them; and whatever I had planned for dinner takes a back seat and this decadent recipe is prepared.

grilled scallops

Grilled to perfection!

This is the simplest grilling recipe and is on my dinner menu almost every week during the warm summer months.  A traditional Italian recipe from a beloved old Italian book, these Radicchio and Pancetta wrapped scallops are a delicious way to enjoy a warm evening outdoors.

grilled scallops

Wrapping the Scallops

Paired with a quick Ricotta and Anchovy Crostini and my favorite DaVinci Pinot Grigio, this is a meal to savor and a delicious excuse to linger at the table.

grilled scallops

Wrapped and Ready to Grill

Delicious Wishes and Loads of Love,

Pancetta and Radicchio Wrapped Grilled Scallops

Serving Size: Serves 2-3

Pancetta and Radicchio Wrapped Grilled Scallops

Ingredients

• 10-12 large sea scallops
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 10-12 radicchio leaves, rinsed and dried
  • 10-12 slices pancetta
  • 1 lemon

Instructions

• Place the scallops in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper until well coated. Wrap a scallop in a radicchio leaf and then wrap with a slice of pancetta, securing the pancetta and radicchio to the scallop with a toothpick. Repeat until all the scallops have been wrapped in the radicchio and pancetta. If a scallop is too large for the radicchio, just cut the scallop in half.
  • Pre-heat the grill to 400F. Grill the scallops over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes until the pancetta is crispy. Squeeze a little lemon juice over each scallop and serve immediately.
  • Recipe Management Powered by Zip Recipes Plugin

The Blissful Adventurer
    April 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm

why don’t you just starve me Karista? jeez this looks good 🙂

April 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Haha! If you and Juliet ever come to my house for dinner I promise you won’t starve! 🙂

Just A Smidgen
    April 20, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Totally love scallops on the grill! And sitting outside with wine.. your perfectionism has made you a awesome chef and photographer!!

April 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Thank you Smidge for your kind words! There is just something magical about sunshine, grilled scallops and a glass of wine. 🙂

Patrick Possanza
    April 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm

This sounds terrific and even better, easy to prepare! I will for sure do this when we have company (my wife isn’t much of a shellfish eater).

April 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thanks Patrick. I didn’t really enjoy shellfish either until I started preparing these scallops. Now I crave them! Enjoy 🙂

billpeeler
    April 21, 2012 at 7:34 am

I’ve always had a soft spot for scallops – these look super delicious!

April 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

Thanks Bill! I think this is one of my favorite ways to prepare scallops. Happy Weekend to you!

frugalfeeding
    April 21, 2012 at 7:49 am

Perhaps a little out of my price range, but oh so delicious and decadent. I LOVE the use of the raddicchio! So pretty.

April 21, 2012 at 7:54 am

Decadent indeed, and I often find these lovelies on special at my fish market. Makes me feel a bit less guilty for indulging. 🙂 Happy Weekend Frugal!

cookinginsens
    April 21, 2012 at 8:03 am

So elegant!

April 21, 2012 at 8:09 am

thank you! They do make a lovely presentation, and actually fun and delicious to eat. 🙂

Cara Olsen
    April 21, 2012 at 10:24 am

Ah, perfection . . . yes, I know this grievous foe! He whispers in my ear, too . . . He can be useful, of course, but we must do or best to flick at him when starts to overstay his welcome.

This recipe — and I should mention I really, really, really don’t like scallops — looks incredibly yummy. I wouldn’t even hesitate to grab a fork and take a chance. YOU make everything look good. I cannot wait for your book, Karista. I, of course, want an autographed copy. 🙂

Have a wonderful day, love.

Cara

The Low Fat Chick
    April 21, 2012 at 11:36 am

Pancetta! One of the best ways to eat pork. Pork is my favorite meat. I have had scallops with bacon but pancetta sounds even better! I pinned this so I can make it.

April 22, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Thank you for the pin! I’m a huge bacon fan too. 🙂

debbrunson
    April 22, 2012 at 8:38 am

I have to disagree- you photos are always lovely, and these scallops seem to be no exception 🙂 I smiled so big picturing you two in coats with an evening to yourself grilling scallops with a pinot grigio… perfetto indeed 😀

April 22, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Aww… Thanks Deb! Sometimes my camera just doesn’t do what I want it to do 🙂 And I tend to chuckle at myself all buttoned up sitting out on the deck enjoying dinner and a glass of wine.

Bam's Kitchen
    April 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I love the simple ingredients of Italian cooking. Your photos turned out lovely despite what you think.

April 22, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Thank you Bam! I too love the simplicity of Italian cuisine. I’m still in a sharp learning curve with my new camera, doesn’t always do what I want. Lol! Thanks for the kind words!

peasepudding
    April 23, 2012 at 3:42 am

Gosh that could have been me writin that, I’m a terrible house keeper but like my kitchen tidy and god help hubby if he leaves stuff around. My lip drops too when a dish or photo doesn’t turn out how I want and I am obsessed by food. Love your scallop dish.

April 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Thank you Allison! I loathe that I don’t like to keep house, but at least the kitchen is clean right? Haha!

girlinafoodfrenzy
    April 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

They truly are grilled to perfection!!!

April 23, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Thank you! I think the radicchio and pancetta do a nice job of steaming the scallops. Have a great week!

girlinafoodfrenzy
        April 23, 2012 at 11:39 pm

They look so charred and crispy on the outside, makes me really wish I had a bbq! (Likewise,) I hope your week is equally fab.

bitsandbreadcrumbs
    April 26, 2012 at 7:36 pm

What a fabulous sounding dish, Karista! I love this and can imagine how good it is with the pancetta flavoring the radicchio and the scallop, and so pretty, too! I’m not sure what you’re talking about with the photos…they look great to me.

April 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Thank you! Just me and my need for the perfect picture. 🙂 I love these scallops but they are not easy to photograph.

sybaritica
    May 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Clever idea. I must try it!

May 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thank you! They are delicious 🙂

Erina
    July 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I am so looking forward to trying these…YUM! Thanks for the fabulous recipe, as always!

July 23, 2012 at 9:41 pm