Appetizers Karista's Kitchen Sweets

Strawberries Romanoff

Strawberries Romanoff

This is how I love strawberries the most.  Strawberries Romanoff – simply dunked in a spiked and sweetened sour cream just waiting for my fingers to snag one, scooping up the cream with it and then popping the luscious berry into my mouth.  Ahhh… summer.karista's kitchen

This post was originally written in response to a blogging award given to me by a fellow blogger.  The rules of the award were to tell you a little about myself, which is sometimes hard to do because I’d rather learn a little something about you instead.  But here I go anyway.  Enjoy and feel free to laugh (at me or with me)!

7 random facts about myself.  Where do I begin?!

1.  I was Junior Miss Pangburn, Arkansas 1978.  That was it. My one and only attempt at pageantry. I just wasn’t pageant material. I’d rather have been riding my horse.

2.  I love animals. I grew up with all sorts of animals. Dogs, cats, pigs, chickens, ducks, a goose named Charlie, a cantankerous pony, a quarter horse, rabbits, a steer named Rex, goats, and an animated lamb we called Fearless. He thought he was a dog.

3.  Before culinary school I couldn’t cook. My best meal was a tired old turkey kielbasa with a can of sauerkraut. Whoo Hoo! And that was a good night.

4.  I’m terribly clumsy. I fell in a parking lot once (actually many times) while talking to a client on my cell phone. That’ll teach me to talk on the phone and walk at the same time. I’ve fallen down steps, tripped over the smallest bump in a sidewalk and slipped on the running board of my jeep right onto the grocery store parking lot. (this was recent) My twin sister also inherited this affliction.

5.  I’m obsessed with British mysteries. It all started in the 5th grade when I discovered the mystery genre. Couldn’t get enough of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and from there I moved onto PG James, Colin Dexter and Martha Grimes.

6.  I became certified in scuba diving a few years ago. Exhilarating experience! My first dive I panicked. But managed to make two more dives holding the hand of my diving Instructor. The third dive, my Instructor felt he needed his hand returned. I managed to dive on my own, gracefully without panic, and ended up getting certified. Phew!  You can read all about that harrowing adventure HERE.

7.  I love the outdoors. Kayaking, hiking, biking, cross-country skiing, gardening, riding, flying… and you wonder how I do this being so clumsy. 🙂 It’s not always graceful but I have a blast.

Delicious Wishes and Loads of Love,

Strawberries Romanoff

Ingredients

• Strawberries, 2 pints
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3-4 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier

Instructions

• Mix together the sour cream, brown sugar and Grand Marnier.
  • Serve it two ways:
  • Place sliced strawberries in 4 wine or martini glasses and then top with a dollop of the sour cream sauce and serve.
  • Or, pour the sour cream sauce on a platter and place whole strawberries on the sour cream sauce and serve as a fun finger dessert. (with a few napkins)
  • Recipe Management Powered by Zip Recipes Plugin

Karen
    August 10, 2012 at 9:43 am

Congratulations on your well deserved awards. I appreciate you thinking of my blog. Thank you very much for your kind words.

Karen
      August 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

I forgot to mention how great your strawberries look…a lovely way to serve them.

August 10, 2012 at 10:31 am

Isn’t that fun?! I love the Grand Marnier in the cream and brandy would be nice too. 🙂

Karen
          August 10, 2012 at 10:41 am

Grand Marnier is my favorite after dinner drink.

August 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thanks, and you are so welcome Karen!

Erina
    August 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

Wow…thank you!! I am so flattered and can’t wait until we cross paths at a sniffing, swirling, and slurping event again soon! I need to check this out and figure out how to nominate your fabulous blog back! Stay tuned please. 🙂 xoxo.

August 10, 2012 at 10:32 am

Aww… your so welcome Erina! And yes, can’t wait until we meet again at one of those fabulous foodie events!

bitsandbreadcrumbs
    August 10, 2012 at 10:13 am

Hi Karista, and congratulations on your well deserved awards! And I am so honored that you thought of me to nominate for the Beautiful Blogger Award, thank you so much for your kind words. You are such a lovely lady and it was fun to read more about you and your cooking background. I suppose I’ve never examined a recipe for Strawberries Romanoff, but the way I regularly serve strawberries are to sprinkle Grand Marnier on them, top with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche, then sprinkle brown sugar on top of that…who knew it was so close to Romanoff…it surprised me to read it! 🙂

August 10, 2012 at 10:34 am

That’s so funny Betsy! I think the sour cream, strawberry, brown sugar thing must be a Southern dish. Although my Mom inconveniently left out the liquor. 🙁 LOL!
      And you are so welcome. Love your blog and its been so fun getting to know you!

thecompletecookbook
    August 10, 2012 at 11:36 am

Congratulations on the lovely awards and super recipe.
    🙂 Mandy

August 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thanks Mandy!! Hope all is well in your part of the world. 🙂

Choc Chip Uru
    August 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Congrats on your awards my friend 😀
    And a beautiful post with a recipe to match!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

August 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thank you! Cheers to you to!!

Profiteroles & Ponytails
    August 10, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Karista, the awards are well deserved indeed. Your blog really is terrific. You’ve made my day — I can’t tell you what it means to be nominated along with such terrific other blogs. I’ll have to check out the ones that I’m not familiar with (when I get back on my feet now from our vacation out west), but I’m a big fan of several on your list. Your strawberries romanoff looks like the perfect ending to a summer meal and one that could be pulled together without too much fussing in the kitchen.

August 11, 2012 at 8:30 am

You are so welcome Barb! The strawberries romanoff is my “I don’t want to turn on the oven” dessert along with using up all my fresh strawberries. 🙂 For the kiddos I often omit the Grand Marnier and add some orange exctract to the sour cream just for fun. Have a lovely weekend!

gardenfreshtomatoes
    August 11, 2012 at 4:10 am

I didn’t know you were from Arkansas! My dad lives up in Salem…(Mom’s from Pine Bluff, but we don’t say that too loudly, you know… 😉 )
    Congrats on the much-deserved awards!

August 11, 2012 at 8:33 am

Yep, I moved there when I was very young and lived in Pangburn, Heber Springs and then High School and College in Little Rock. I have some very special friends and family that still live there. In fact, my Mother in law lives in Searcy. And I know what you mean about Pine Bluff. LOL!!!

saffronandhoney
    August 11, 2012 at 7:57 am

A beautiful summer treat! Looks simply delicious.

August 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

Thank you! My little shortcut “I don’t want to turn on the oven” dessert. 🙂

Ameena
    August 12, 2012 at 4:19 am

Being a pageant girl is not easy…I admire that you even attempted it! And congrats for getting so far.

Beautiful blog…love your photos!

August 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thank you Ameena. No, pageantry is not easy and it’s certainly not my cup of tea. LOL! I think I entered because I thought it would be fun to dress up but as it turned out it was just a lot of fuss and not much fun. Thanks for your compliments! Have a beautiful weekend 🙂

ceciliag
    August 12, 2012 at 8:51 am

Morning karista and thank you for your kind words. I cannot do award posts in the summer because of time restraints (that pesky cow needs milking!!) but i am honestly very grateful. You have lovely pages and your food is quite divine and you very much deserve to be the recipient of awards yourself.. well done for making such a gracious thank page.. c

August 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Your are so welcome Celi! Thank you for the kind words. I completely understand time restraints as it took me well over a month to get this one posted. Have a fabulous summer!

August 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Congrats on the awards!

August 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Thanks for stopping by!

Jess
    August 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Uggg, the widgets make me batty. 😉 What a beautiful, easy recipe – thank you for sharing!

August 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Thanks Jess! Oh the widgets! Ugh! And a few other cantankerous technical items as well. I’d like to think it’s wordpress but I truly think its me. 🙁 Hope you’re having a great week!

girlinafoodfrenzy
    August 15, 2012 at 4:27 am

Hi Karista, gorgeous looking berries as per usual and that sauce looks dangerously silky and moreish! I can imagine myself whiling away some time in the summer with a bowl of Bertie’s and this delicious looking dip 🙂

August 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm

🙂 I love your comments Alli! What could be more wonderful than rich whole milk sour cream or creme fraiche mixed with a bit of sweet and a dash of liquor! Yum! It’s a lovely way to enjoy dessert on a hot summer evening. Have a fabulous rest of the week!

Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    August 16, 2012 at 8:30 am

Congratulations on your award! It’s always fun learning more about you, Karista. I love your photography.. the strawberries look fabulous!

Erina
    August 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Okay…feeling like a massive luddite here…but where’s the website for the Beautiful Blogger Award so I can figure out how to send the loving back your way?!

August 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Erina, I just copied the photos to my pictures folder. I’m so sorry, I have no idea where the “code” is for putting it in the sidebars. I’ll check around and see if I can figure it out. Is that what you are looking for?

agadir travel agency
    August 28, 2012 at 11:20 pm

that is so yammee , you maked me really hungry

thanks

Sud Aventures

Cara
    October 18, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I’m almost embarrassed at how LONG it took me to respond to you–I’m so sorry. It by no means reflects my gratitude (it’s just a representation of how scattered I have been in the past several months). What beautiful words you said about me–I am just touched, really. Thank you Karista! xo

October 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm

LOL! Oh no worries at all! I always read what you’ve got posted but seem to never have time to make a decent comment! So I completely understand. Life is busy, I’m thinking I need a pajama day. 🙂

London