Appetizers Karista's Kitchen Pork

Stuffed Olive and Sausage Bites

stuffed olive and sausage bites

Stuffed Olive and Sausage Bites

There is no doubt the holidays are always a busy time of year.  However, the last few years it’s become a reason to put the brakes on.  Or at least slow down long enough to savor the season.

I find myself turning off my computer earlier in the evening, leaving the iPad on my desk, losing my phone (ok… I do this year round), and hanging out by the fire watching old holiday films, sipping my new fave wine and enjoying the company of my beautiful family.

It’s amazing how something as simple as a Christmas movie and a good cup of cocoa can bring everyone into the family room.For me, the holidays are also a time of reflection.  Reflection on the unexpected blessings, the mountainous hurdles that have been jumped and long winding roads that were crossed.

The joy of being a mom of two beautiful and sassy gals, the ever present love, laughter and hilarious adventure with a man who is my best friend. Reflection on the love of family and friends, and new friendships.

Stuffed olives and sausage rolled in panko and baked

www.karistaskitchen.com

One evening at a food blogging event this past summer,  I found myself standing alone at a tall table in the corner of a large barn like building.  I was trying to look casual holding my cocktail and putting my pride in check after a disappointing moment.  I’m typically eager to meet new people and make new friends.  However, sometimes I forget others are not so eager.

So with my pride somewhat bruised and mentally giving myself a good lecture, I stood there watching the crowd as if I were on the outside looking in.

I checked the time on my phone and only half an hour had passed.  Oh well, I thought. It’s time to pack it in, go home, put on the pajamas and read a good book.  There were also three Bennett’s at home that would give me no shortage of conversation.

Just as I was fishing around my handbag for my keys, a lovely lady with a bright as a Christmas tree smile introduced herself.  I probably looked stunned.  I’m sure it took me a minute but I soon realized she was speaking to me and I should probably speak back.

Melanie is genuine. She presented me with a kindness I will never forget.  Along with a few more lovely women from the event, Melanie became a new friend.

Melanie is the author of the blog Melanie in the Middle and now her newest project, A Beautiful Bite, Where Passion and Plate Collide. Fresh, fun, beautiful and mouthwatering recipes.  And she has the best giveaways!

So, in honor of A Beautiful Bite, I thought I’d share these lovely little Stuffed Olive and Sausage Bites.  Perfect starters for your holiday table.

Or if you’re like me… you eat them for lunch. 😉

Happy Holidays and Loads of Love,

Stuffed Olive and Sausage Bites

Makes about 18-20 depending on size of the olives

Ingredients

1 jar (or about 20) feta or bleu cheese stuffed green olives.  Sometimes I can find orange peel stuffed olives and these are fabulous in this starter.

About ½ – ¾ panko style bread crumbs

1 pound sweet, mild or hot Italian sausage

Directions

Line a baking sheet with parchment.  Make sure you lightly paper towel the olives so the sausage will stick.

I usually place the olives in one bowl, the sausage in another and the bread crumbs in a third bowl.

Flatten out a tablespoon sized portion of sausage in your palm. Place an olive in the center, then shape the sausage around it, enclosing the olive.

Roll the sausage wrapped olive in the bread crumbs. Continue to shape it and pressing the bread crumbs into the sausage slightly.  As olives are prepared, space them apart on a baking sheet.

Repeat with the remaining olives.

The olives can be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated.  Cover tightly.

At least 20 minutes before baking, remove them from the refrigerator and pre-heat the oven to 450F.  Bake the olives for about 12-14 minutes, until the sausage is cooked and lightly browned.

Serve on a long olive tray or speared with fun picks.

Recipe slightly adapted from the fabulous Chef Kathy Casey, Sips and Apps

Heidi
    November 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Ooooooo….. These look fun and delicious! I must make them!

November 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Thank you Heidi. They really are delish and simple to prepare especially for a last minute app.

Danny @ 1227 Foster
    November 27, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Great idea to try and slow down a bit this time of year — it does get so hectic. We need to remember what it’s all about and running around like a crazy person isn’t it. These bites sound wonderful — very creative. Happy Holidays to you and your wonderful family!

November 28, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Thanks Danny. Yes, taking life nice and slow this time of year is a good idea. Otherwise the first of January arrives and I feel like I’ve missed the holidays. Best of luck with the new blog!

Profiteroles & Ponytails
    November 27, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Love the picture of you and your two sassy gals. Relaxing by the fire with a drink and a movie is a favorite thing to do over the holidays–well heck anytime–too. A friend has asked me to come up with some appie ideas for her and I am going to add these to the list of ideas. They look terrific!

November 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Thanks Barb! I hope you like them. They are sort of addicting. I eat one and then I have to go back for several more. 🙂 Have a happy holiday season with the darling Ponytails!

Melanie Feehan
    November 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm

First of all, HOLY HECK that’s an amazing picture. Truly, you have a gift with that there camera of yours. Secondly, I had to do a double take with that picture of you and the girls because you look YOUNGER than them. How is that even possible?

Karista, you are lovely. Your food is ridiculously inspired. And your photography? I want to be you when I grow up.

I thank my lucky stars for having met you that day. As I’ve shared with you before, we are all supposed to learn something everywhere we go if we keep our minds open to the possibilities. And in our case we found something really cool. A new friendship.

Even if that friendship causes me to gain five pounds from recipes like this. Sausage and bleu cheese stuffed olives? You’re killing my thighs lady. 😉 Muah. xoxo

November 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Thank you Melanie!! I still have no idea how to work have the buttons on my camera. LOL! I felt lucky to get the shot. And isn’t Instagram a wonderful thing. Makes all my age lines look nice and smooth. You are truly a blessing my friend. Hugs!

Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    November 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm

My friend was just asking me for an appetizer recipe and I was thinking I need a few new ones. I’m so glad you made a connection, what a gift that is! I’m off to see her website:) xx

November 28, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Whoo Hoo! I love it when I read food blogs and there is something I need right there on the first page. LOL! Have a fabulous week Smidge 🙂

saffronandhoney
    November 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm

These are so perfectly savory and quite elegant, not that I would expect anything less from you :). Happy holidays!

November 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Thank you. Well, they look elegant enough but then you bite into a nice piece of sausage, followed by a green olive with a speck of cheese. 🙂 I can’t make them unless I’m taking them somewhere or I’ll eat them all. Happy Holidays to you as well1

Cindy
    November 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I just want to hug you….for so many reasons. Love your blog, love your recipes, love you!

November 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Awww… thank you Cindy. I send you a big hug! Love ya too 🙂

November 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm

These bites sound delicious with sausage and intriguing because of the olives.

November 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

They really are delish and sort of addicting 🙂 Enjoy!

Shut Up & Cook
    November 27, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I’m always much happier when you’re at a party…for the record. These look fabulous. And how smart you are to slow down at the Holidays. I’m taking a page from your book!

November 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Awww.. thanks for saying so Erina!! Well a party is definitely more fun when you’re in attendance 🙂 Enjoy the season sweet friend!

Bam's Kitchen
    November 27, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Your daughters are beautiful, just like their mama! I could not have said it better myself, holidays are for families and loved ones and taking time to share some memories is high on my list this year. I really like the sound of your recipe, a great appetizer. I have made stuffed olives with cheese and fried them in a batter and they were quite nice. I think the sausage would make these extra savory. Take care and enjoy a cup of hot cocoa with your girls. Take Care, BAM

November 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Thanks Bam! I do love my sassy gals. We’re not all three together often so Thanksgiving was a treat. Ok, your stuffed olives fried in a batter sound divine! Might you blog them soon? Enjoy the holidays!

Tandy
    November 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I’m intrigued by orange peel stuffed olives Karista 🙂

November 28, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I like them best with the orange peel stuffed green olives. But the feta is my second fave. Enjoy the holidays Tandy!

thecompletecookbook
    November 27, 2012 at 11:36 pm

You and your daughters are all incredibly beautiful! You look more like their sister than their mom. 🙂
    As with all your posts Karista, I thoroughly enjoyed this one too, thank you for sharing so openly and for always sharing such wonderful recipes.
    Oh yes, give your little chicken a kiss from me.
    🙂 Mandy

November 28, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Hahaha! Well Mandy, Instagram is a beautiful thing. It hides all those darn wrinkles around my eyes. 🙂 So glad you liked the post. Friendship and kindness is a beautiful thing.
      Thanks for the kisses for my little chickies. They send one back!

gardenfreshtomatoes
    November 28, 2012 at 4:48 am

Wise and kind words…slow down and enjoy!
    Gonna have to seek out those olives, now!

November 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Thank you! Every year I’m determined to savor the holidays. Especially now that the girls are older. Time flies!

marni zarr
    November 28, 2012 at 6:26 am

oh karista, your stories are so real sometimes i feel like i’m standing in your shoes.

November 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Marni I feel so honored by your compliment… my beautiful author friend!

EverydayMaven
    November 28, 2012 at 7:40 am

Karista that is a great photo – the girls are so pretty and you look like their sister! Great appetizer and advice about slowing down for the holidays. Hope we get to catch up soon 🙂

November 28, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Hahaha! Alyssa, Instagram does wonders for the mid-40’s eye wrinkles! And yes, I do want to meet for coffee soon. Maybe a post holiday cocktail or coffee?

bitsandbreadcrumbs
    November 28, 2012 at 9:25 am

What a beautiful shot of you and your daughters, Karista! These bites look so tempting…even more so because the olives are stuffed with good things. We had your sweet potato spoon bread for Thanksgiving and it was terrific!

November 28, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Yay! Betsy so glad you loved the spoon bread. I really could just sit and eat it all with a spoon. And then lick the dish. LOL! Wishing you the happiest of holidays!

Jayne
    November 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Lady, you look way too young to be having such grown up girls. 😀 Also, what an easy appetizer! I’ll definitely consider this in an upcoming family gathering.

November 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm

LOL! Well Jayne, Instagram is a 45 year olds best friend. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Wishing you a most delicious holiday season, Karista

Christie Ellis (@pepperlynnblog)
        November 30, 2012 at 12:06 am

These bites look so tasty, Karista! I also had the pleasure of meeting Melanie at BlogHer Food this summer and found her to be a sweetheart. From what I have seen, she is an inspiring woman with an incredible story, and I am glad to learn about her new site. I’ll be checking that out!

Sally
    November 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm

you take BEAUTIFUL photos Karista! Wow. Simply gorgeous. And these little bites.. i dont’ think i could stop eating them 🙂

December 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thank you Sally! When I make these I always make an extra batch for snacking. 🙂 Happiest of Holidays to you.

wendy@chezchloe
    December 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Perfect quick holiday fair. I wonder if you could even freeze them and have them ready to go? I do believe there are little angels out there helping people to cross paths. Melanie looks like a lovely person and she’s managing TWO blogs and FOUR kids. Wow.
    Cheers ma dear x wendy

December 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Oh yes, absolutely! Freezing them is a grand idea.
      I feel so blessed to have met so many wonderful people through blogging and the culinary world. You included Miss!!

Lilly Sue
    December 6, 2012 at 9:17 am

These sounds delicious! I am taking the recipe!

December 7, 2012 at 6:38 am

Try are quite delicious. Enjoy!