Appetizers Karista's Kitchen vegetarian

All I Want For Christmas Is Bleu Cheese and Bacon

www.karistaskitchen.com

www.karistaskitchen.com

It was my birthday last week.   Although the new number is daunting, I love birthdays.  Not so much my birthday,  I love celebrating my family and friend’s birthdays.

As long as I remember the birthdays.  Thank goodness for Facebook.

Ranger Craig surprised me with the sweetest, most thoughtful of gifts.  New muck boots and a waterproof work coat.  Brought a tear to my eye.

No, not because it wasn’t a diamond, but because it’s what I really wanted.

My new muck boots :)

My new muck boots 🙂

My old boots have seen their last days and my old work coat is water-resistant, which doesn’t mean much here in Seattle.  The last time I was mucking out the chicken pen and roaming around doing various yard projects, I think my darling man must have heard me mutter a few words about my leaky boots and soaking jacket.

He even hung a beautiful brushed nickel jacket hook by the back door and a copper tray for my muddy boots.  I love that man.

Ok, enough of the mushy stuff.

It’s a five for one today.  Five fabulous starters.  One from me, and four from a few of my favorite food bloggers.   I suppose I could’ve titled this post “ Five Fabulous Starters”… but that doesn’t sound quite as catchy.

Perfect holiday starters for your perfect holiday party. 😉

Loads of Love,

Bleu Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Medjool Dates

Big thanks to my friend Gazala, who recommended a stuffed date appetizer. 🙂 Love!

Makes about 25 -30 pieces

Ingredients

25-30 Medjool dates

4-5 slices bacon, cooked (I usually cook more than five as my family will walk by the stove and sneak a few slices)

6-8 ounces good quality bleu cheese (I love Rogue Creamery Bleu’s), or Gorgonzola

Directions

Remove the seeds from the dates and arrange on a platter.

Finely dice the bacon or place it in a small food processor and mince.

Place the bleu cheese in a food processor or with a hand mixer, cream the bleu cheese.  Transfer the creamed bleu cheese to a pastry bag or a small ziploc bag.

Cut a small hole in one corner of the ziploc bag or a larger hole in the pastry bag.  Pipe the creamed bleu cheese into each date.

Sprinkle each date with minced bacon, gently tapping it on the cheese to keep it secure.  Serve at room temperature.

Enjoy!

This is a lovely app that can be prepared prior to serving.  Cream the bleu cheese and hold in the frig.  Cook the bacon, mince and then hold in the frig.  Pit the dates and also hold in the frig.  Then right before guests arrive, pipe in the blue cheese and top with the bacon.  Delish!

saffronandhoney
    December 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I adore savory stuffed dates, and boy, do these look savory! A perfect party snack (if I don’t eat them all myself..)

December 11, 2012 at 8:01 am

Thank you! Well, that was the problem. I ate my weight in these little lovlies. And a few extra pieces of bacon. LOL! Enjoy the holiday!

Melanie Feehan
    December 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

First of all Happy Birthday. You don’t look a day past 28. I hate you for that. 😉

But seriously, I get your appreciation for a practical gift. I’m asking for a step stool this year so I can take overhead food shots. Only a food blogger can understand what a great gift this is. Most people would be like “A stool for Christmas?”. It’s all I really want,lol.

And your dates are totally drool worthy. The perfect combination of flavors. Thanks for including me in your round up. One year we will have a cocktail party together!

December 11, 2012 at 8:00 am

LOL! Thank you Melanie! I love it… a step stool for food shots! I completely understand.
      It truly is the little things in life that make me happy. And it makes me feel like someone is actually listening to all my constant chatter. 🙂
      Love, love your new blog Melanie. Of course I had to include you. 🙂 Hugs to you friend!

Danny @ 1227 Foster
    December 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Belated happy birthday to a fellow Sagitariun 🙂 I love how you stuffed these dates — looks so easy, yet extremely flavorful!

December 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

Whoo Hoo! Fellow Sagitariun! I rarely meet Sagitariuns. I knew I liked you Danny. 😉 Have a fabulous holiday season… and I’m loving the new blog!

Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    December 10, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Oh, Happy Birthday.. I’m so glad I didn’t miss it! Those boots would bring tears to my eyes as well:) And.. probably those stuffed dates would as well. Thanks for all of these starters.. it’s so handy at this time of year. xx

December 11, 2012 at 7:57 am

Thanks Smidge! Hahaha! I think I’ve taste tested my fill of stuffed dates. And Bacon. 🙂 Wishing you a most delicious holiday season. Hugs!

spree
    December 11, 2012 at 5:03 am

a Very Happy Birthday Karista! I think the most romantic gifts are the ones that show how well known you are. New muck boots (with their own copper tray!) and a new work coat (with its own nickel hook) are right up there with the sweetest most loving of gifts! And a lovely idea from you to share five little starters! Thank you. And good health, good mud 🙂 and much happiness Karista!

December 11, 2012 at 7:56 am

Thank you Spree! It was the most lovely and thoughtful of gifts. 🙂 Melted my heart.
      So glad you like the starters. Wishing you a beautiful holiday season Spree!

kelley {mountain mama cooks}
    December 11, 2012 at 5:14 am

Happy belated birthday, Karista! You have an absolutely gem in the man of yours! I hope you had a fabulous! Thanks for including one of my appetizers- your online friendship and support mean the world to me and I’m so glad we connected. Have a great, GREAT day today and sending big hugs to you!

December 11, 2012 at 7:48 am

Thanks Kelley! I do think my man is pretty awesome. Unconventional too. 🙂 I too am so glad we’ve connected. If only I lived closer. It would be so much fun to hang out! Big hugs to you as well and wishing you the most wonderful holiday season. 🙂

Kristin Taylor Bryann
    December 11, 2012 at 5:53 am

My brother is so awesome! Love this post because I needed some new “starter” ideas. Yum!!!

December 11, 2012 at 7:43 am

LOL! Yep, he’s pretty awesome K! Posting a few more app recipes on my FB page today too. Love you!

frugalfeeding
    December 11, 2012 at 6:21 am

Fantastic, Karista! Perfect, delicious little appetisers!

December 11, 2012 at 7:43 am

Thanks Frugal. Tis the season for appetizers. 🙂 Have a fabulous week!

bitsandbreadcrumbs
    December 11, 2012 at 7:36 am

I never knew how much I could love stuffed dates wrapped in bacon until I made some earlier this year. Now these with blue cheese…that really sounds so decadent and a perfect balance of sweet, salty and creamy. 🙂 And Happy Belated Birthday to you, Karista!

December 11, 2012 at 7:42 am

Well darn it and shoot! I was browsing all my fave food blogs last night (yours included) looking for appetizer recipes to post here. LOL! I knew you had some but for some reason didn’t see them! I’m posting your “Party On” post on my FB page today. Fans will love that post! Have a fabulous week! 🙂

bitsandbreadcrumbs
        December 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

Oh, gosh, Karista, don’t worry about that! You are so sweet to even think of that. I need to do some blog maintenance to reorganize my recipes. It’s been on my to do list for a while. 🙂 My next post will be a round up of some holiday ideas from the blog. This year I’m doing a bit less cooking/baking than usual for a number of reasons, so may only have a couple of new things to share before the holiday. You have a fabulous week, too!

December 11, 2012 at 8:03 am

I know how that goes… I’ve been due for blog maintenance for quite some time. Just not enough hours in the day. I do love your blog Betsy, and your writing. Makes me feel as if I’ve known you all my life! I’ll post the link later today. 🙂 Hugs!

gardenfreshtomatoes
    December 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Fabulous guy you got there – he reads the cues, and uses his head. 🙂
    Love bacon and bleu…in just about any form!

December 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm

LOL! Yes he does. He’s always been sweet like that. I too can eat bacon and bleu in anything, or all by themselves. Hope you’re having a fabulous holiday!

Terri at Time To Be Inspired
    December 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Can’t wait to try the blue cheese in dates, and bacon makes everything taste better! Happy Birthday!

December 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thanks Teri! They are delicious. I love the salty, tangy and sweet combo. And no-bake so it’s a snap for a holiday party. Or lunch. 🙂

Promenade Claire
    December 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm

a belated happy birthday Karista ! and if you could just pass those blue cheese dates over this way…..

December 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thank you Claire! LOL, if you lived close by I’d bring you some 🙂

Profiteroles & Ponytails
    December 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’ve had several friends ask me for appetizer recipes and I’ve shared your sausage and olive balls (which I hope to make soon). I’m adding these to the list, as an alternative to devil’s on horseback. Funny how I get more and more of these requests from friends and coworkers since I started blogging. Thanks for more great appie ideas!

December 12, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Barb, I must live under a rock. You are the thrid person that mentioned something called Devil on Horseback. I have no clue what that is. LOL!! But it must be similar to my stuffed dates.
      I’ve been getting lots of app requests as well which is why I’m blogging a few. Not to mention I’m cooking for several holiday parties and they are mostly appetizers and desserts. Hope your ponytails are enjoying the season. 🙂

Lilly Sue
    December 11, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Amazing! These look absolutely amazing. And happy birthday! I am glad your man got you what you needed/wanted…those are always the best, most used gifts 😀

December 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Thanks Lilly Sue! Well, after 26 years together I think he’s figured me out. LOL!

December 11, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Bleu cheese and bacon sounds awesome for Christmas!

December 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I think I ate my weight in those little yummies. LOL! Merry Christmas!

ArbitraryAmbrosia
    December 11, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Karista, you crack me up! I love that you asked for boots and a work coat for your birthday… and that that is exactly what your hubby got you! I hope you had a fantastic birthday and got to fully enjoy that delicious looking cake I saw posted on instagram 🙂

December 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

LOL! Thanks Amber. I’ve been hinting at new boots and a work coat for months now. Ranger Craig is pretty good about reading the hints. Most of the time. 🙂 Happy Holidays!

Beth @ Good to be the Cook
    December 12, 2012 at 7:41 am

I couldn’t agree more! ENJOY!

December 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks Beth! Enjoy the holidays!

Jess
    December 12, 2012 at 9:10 am

Happy Birthday! I’m so going to make these stuffed dates this week – perfect for the holidays. I’m back in the US and can’t get enough of festive holiday snacks that are good for eating around the fireplace!

December 12, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Thanks Jess! Yay, so glad you were able to go home for the holidays. Have a wonderful time with your family and happiest of holidays to you!

Shut Up & Cook
    December 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Super cute boots and happy birthday!!

December 13, 2012 at 8:00 am

LOL! Thank you Erina! Hope you’re having a beautiful holiday season 🙂

Tandy
    December 13, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Don’t count the years in your life but the life in your years! Birthday blessings Karista 🙂

December 13, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Awww… thank you Tandy! Wishing you many blessings this holiday season!

wendy@chezchloe
    December 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm

These look divine. Bacon and blue cheese… mmmmm.
    Hope you had a lovely birthday. Those gifts would also be at the top of my list. The hook and tray, thoughtful and endearing. cheers… x wt

EverydayMaven
    December 14, 2012 at 12:13 am

Happy Belated Birthday beautiful lady! I am having double boot envy. There is a little girl in my son’s preschool class who has the toddler version of those and I have been eyeing them up for months now – they are awesome!

Karen
    December 21, 2012 at 8:53 am

Sweet, savory and salty…the dates sound delicious. It sounds like you had a nice birthday, congratulations.

girlinafoodfrenzy
    January 1, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Hi Karista, a very Happy New Year and (belated Merry Christmas!) I hope your holidays have been filled with delicious food (no doubt) and precious moments with your beautiful family. One of my all time favorite appetisers and delicious to behold. I love that crowning spoonful of cheese with the ultra crisp bacon. Happy cooking for 2013!