I was playing around with tostada recipes the other day and I decided I needed ceviche to top my tostada shells. I was hungry at that moment and it just sounded delicious. This is often how my recipes happen. I’m hungry and something sounds delicious so it’s created and posted.
I was set on my traditional halibut ceviche because I haven’t made it since the fall and the family keeps asking for it; but there was no halibut at the fish market. So I grabbed the fresh smallish dry packed scallops, which are best in a recipe like this anyway, and some bay shrimp. The small dry packed scallops, not to be confused with bay scallops, dwindle to nothing when they’re cooked. It almost feels like a waste of time to pan sear the small ones, so I either poach them or use them in a ceviche. I’m all about getting the most out of my ingredients.
Well this turned out to be a grand idea. I diced the small scallops and cold poached them in fresh lime juice overnight. Then I drained them and combined them with the bay shrimp, along with lots of additional lush ingredients. I think what I love about this ceviche is it’s easily adapted to suit everyone’s favorite flavors. I love traditional ceviche with tomatoes, white onions and cilantro but instead of diced jalapeño I like a dash of hot sauce and diced cucumber pairs so beautifully with the bay shrimp. Of course it’s all laced with additional fresh lime juice and a salt to taste.
I smeared the tostadas with guacamole because it holds the ceviche onto the tostada. Little pieces still roll off but at least most of it stays planted firmly on the guacamole. Garnishing with crumbled goat cheese or salty Cotija cheese completed my tostadas and I couldn’t eat just one.
While I was photographing for this post, one of the tostadas broke – and darn it, I had to eat that one too.
These little lovelies were a hit with the family and perfect for a mid-week casual meal. I have to admit however, these will be so much fun to serve on a warm summer day with Sangria and a locally brewed beer.
Wishing you all a very happy end of the week and weekend!
Loads of Love,
- 1lb small dry packed scallops, diced
- 1/2 lb cooked bay shrimp (sometimes called shrimp meat)
- Fresh squeezed lime juice (enough to cover the diced scallops and a little extra)
- Handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- Dash of hot sauce, or to taste
- 1-2 cups Guacamole (recipe follows)
- Tostada shells (usually found in the market or you can fry small corn tortillas)
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled or crumbled Goat cheese
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Serve with lime wedges
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- 1-2 roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Lime juice and salt to taste