There is nothing quite like a beautiful salad. The color, the scent of fresh greens and produce, all collectively creating edible art on a plate.
Not only is this Avocado and Watercress Salad impressive in presentation, but it’s mouth-watering delicious in taste.
Fresh avocado and watercress tossed with a light lemon vinaigrette, gently stacked and then topped with brilliantly colored edible flowers.
The Avocado and Watercress Salad is simple to prepare – either with round food rings or you can layer the salad on a platter or on individual plates. This salad is so delicious served with either a quiche or this lovely Spring Vegetable Strata I created for VRAI Magazine. The fresh flavors of the avocado and peppery watercress pair beautifully with eggs dishes or even a spring lamb chop or roasted rack of lamb would be lovely.
A gorgeous table of food for Mother’s Day brunch or any casual weekend entertaining. I often serve the strata for Sunday breakfast and fancy it up with the salad if I’m serving it for brunch. However you decide to serve these dishes, your guests will be completely delighted. Especially if there is a Mimosa sitting next to the plate!
Wishing you all a beautiful and delicious week!
Loads of Love,
- 1 large bunch watercress, thin stems and leaves only
- 2-3 large firm but ripe avocados, diced
- ½ to 1 cup edible flowers (usually purchased in the fresh herb section of a market)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Juice of one lemon, about 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 3-4 inch round food molds, if desired (optional). If you don’t have food molds, a washed and dried tuna with both ends removed will also work.
If you can't find edible flowers, not to worry. Garnish with fresh chopped chives and some grated fresh carrot and beet or spiralized carrot and beet for some color.